We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements offer a blend of vitamins and minerals to increase hair growth for individuals experiencing hair loss due to stress, inadequate nutrition, age, or environmental factors.
In addition to hair growth supplements, Viviscal develops other hair care products for those seeking to improve their hair’s overall look and feel. This article will explore hair growth supplements and some alternative options.
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements, more commonly called Viviscal, contain the proprietary active ingredient AminoMar, a compound of marine extracts and polysaccharides. Its other ingredients include:
- fish oil
- vitamin C
- horsetail extract
According to the company, there is clinical research suggesting that the supplement’s ingredients nourish thinning hair and promote hair growth, with noticeable benefits within 3–6 months.
More specifically, the Viviscal company claims its supplements:
- nurture hair follicles
- boost new hair growth
- accelerate overall hair growth
While the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not confirm these claims, Viviscal claims its products meet the
The blood vessels attached to hair follicles nourish hair so that it can grow. Viviscal supplements claim to improve the nutrients that these hair follicles receive.
The Viviscal company explains that hair growth includes four stages:
- Anagen: This phase lasts 2–7 years, and the amount of time a hair spends in this phase determines its length.
- Catagen: This interim phase lasts around 10 days. During this time, the hair follicle shrinks and partially separates from the dermal papillae.
- Telogen: This is the “resting phase” for older hair that lasts around 3 months. As the old hair rests, a new hair starts to grow. However, excess shedding and noticeable hair thinning occur if the hair enters this phase too early.
- Exogen: This is an extension of the resting or telogen phase, where the old hair disconnects from the follicle and sheds as the incoming hair continues to grow.
No two hairs are in the same stage of the hair growth cycle at the same time. The company claim that its supplements extend a strand of hair’s time in the growth or anagen phase of the cycle. As people age, the length of the anagen stage typically decreases. When this occurs, hair has less time to thicken and build strength.
Research from 2015 indicates that certain nutrients, such as those in Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements, help sustain regular hair growth. More specifically, these nutrients may help increase the amount of hair and decrease shedding in women who reported hair thinning.
Additionally, studies indicate that supplements containing marine-derived protein and fish oil minimized hair loss in females but did not encourage hair growth. A 2019 review suggests vitamins and minerals have a significant but obscure role in hair follicle development.
The AminoMar, biotin, vitamin C, and zinc in Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements reportedly nurture hair follicles to encourage hair growth. These nutrients could also work to create stronger, healthier hair.
Viviscal claims there are various benefits from these ingredients:
- AminoMar: A compound of shark cartilage and mollusk powder that contains certain proteins, which encourage hair growth and increase hair density.
- Fish oil: Provides omega-3 fatty acids that can help nourish hair follicles.
- Silica: Stabilizes calcium and magnesium levels to balance hormones that may impact hair growth.
- Biotin: Speeds up hair growth and increases its thickness.
- Niacin or Vitamin B3: Increases blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles to stimulate hair growth.
- Vitamin C: Promotes collagen production, which then strengthens hair.
- Zinc: Reduces dandruff and allows for healthy hair growth.
Consumers and reviewers have identified the advantages and disadvantages of Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) currently gives the company a C- grade. On this review platform, Viviscal has a score of 1.25 stars out of 5, which comes from four customer reviews. All reviews on the BBB website are generally negative and cite problems with the company’s customer service.
There is currently one positive review on Trustpilot’s website, where the company has a score of 3.7 stars out of 5.
Individuals can order Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements directly via the company’s website.
Viviscal currently offers a 3-month Nourishing Starter Kit subscription for around $40 per month. The subscription includes a 3-month supplement supply and 20% off Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying products. A person can cancel the subscription or defer shipments at any time.
The Viviscal website also offers a Nourishing and Volumizing Premium Kit subscription for around $50 per month. This bundle includes a 3-month supplement supply, Gorgeous Growth Densifying shampoo and conditioner, and 20% off Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying products. Individuals can also cancel this subscription or delay shipments whenever they choose.
Available products similar to Viviscal supplements include:
- Hair La Vie Clinical Formula Hair Vitamins: This supplement includes US Plus Saw Palmetto and EnvolMax Toctotrienols — two ingredients that could stimulate hair growth and strengthen existing hair. The company suggests this supplement can work in as little as 30 days.
- clean and natural ingredients
- uses clinically researched ingredients
- free shipping
- 90-day, risk-free money-back guarantee
- only available in the U.S.
- might not be effective for some people
- Hair Hero Vitamins: This supplement contains vitamins and minerals, such as biotin, folic acid, saw palmetto, and collagen, which address hormonal shifts, nutritional deficits, and stresses due to hair loss.
- a unique formula of vitamins and minerals that support hair growth
- 365-day money-back guarantee
- takes some time for best results
- only available in the U.S.
- Nutrafol Core for Women: This supplement offers a proprietary blend of vitamins and nutrients, including 300 micrograms of biotin.
- several positive customer reviews
- contains vitamins A, C, and D, and nutrients and minerals
- higher cost than some products
- limited 30-day return policy
- lack of information on the dosage of key ingredients
Is Viviscal FDA approved?
No, supplements, in general, do not undergo regulation by the FDA in the same way as prescription medicines.
Do Viviscal supplements cause skin breakouts or other skin conditions?
According to Viviscal, five clinical trials of its supplements tested its effects on 235 women and found no skin-related issues.
Does Viviscal promote the growth of eyebrows or eyelashes?
The company says there is no clinical evidence that its supplements promote eyebrow or eyelash growth.
Is Viviscal suitable for people with allergies?
Viviscal is not suitable for individuals with allergies to fish or shellfish. Though the product does not contain dairy, nuts, eggs, or wheat, the manufacturing site may use these ingredients in other products.
Is Viviscal suitable for people with celiac disease, gluten allergy, or gluten sensitivity?
Viviscal supplements do not include gluten-containing ingredients, but the company may manufacture these products at sites that are not gluten free. For example, Viviscal Extra Strength supplements contain millet seed, which can aggravate gluten sensitivity.
Can breastfeeding or pregnant people take Viviscal?
The company does not recommend its supplements for pregnant or breastfeeding individuals.
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements reportedly revitalize existing hair and encourage hair growth with a proprietary active blend of marine extracts, vitamins, and minerals. The company claims those who use the supplements benefit from increased hair growth and thicker hair in 3–6 months.
The supplements have received many positive consumer reviews. However, some individuals have complained that the supplements are ineffective and that the company does not provide adequate customer service.
Alternative products are available to purchase at various retailers, both in-store and online.